Support Forum

Every time that you post a problem, PLEASE add the Joomla and the extension's versions and revisions (for example: Joomla 3.3.6, Contact Enhanced 3.3.5), PHP version and Server's Operating System. If you only manage only one site it is easier if you edit your profile and just add that information to your signature. Don't forget to add a detailed description of the problem. If possible, write down all steps to simulate the problem.

Before submitting a new post, PLEASE make sure you are running the latest version, test in different browsers (IE, FF, Chrome,..) and clear Joomla and browser's cache after every change you make.

Also, most questions are already answered in our FAQ and in iFAQ and Contact Enhanced documentation pages.

Make 'Email Required' optional

12 years 2 days ago #11034 by lbridle
Currently, adding a new contact in CE only 'shows via asterisks' a user requirement to input 2 fields. ie 1) Name and 2) Category.

However, a save demonstrated via error message that and email address is also required. This is a new additional requirement compared to the J!-core contacts component.

I'm currently building a simple yet large volume community business directory web site and enough contacts, eg construction industry sub-contractors, live and die by their cell phone, alone. This warrants a capability to turn off the email requirement for our site.

I've resolved this by simplying hacking /administrator/.../com_CE.../tables/contact.php and commenting out the check around line 150.

Making this rqmt optional, i.e.a non-hack, would be a preferred low maintenance solution

Thanks
Larry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 days ago #11035 by douglas
Dear Larry,

The Contact's email field used to be optional, however I've had too many problems in the past with users that did not understand that an email was required in order to display the contact form.

Do you have any idea how to make this intuitive for the average user?

Best regards,

12 years 1 day ago #11052 by lbridle
Hi Douglas,

Fyi, our 'business directory' application is a referral site. Our business objectives are more about referring web visitors to other businesses (our customers) - more about just pure display of our business customers contact info (ie our ce contacts). Hence we do not even display the contacts email address and also do not display the contact form. We are not facilitating email inquiries of any kind.

And hence don't even want an email requirement. Maybe I'm using the contact component very differently than others do.

If facilitating incoming inquiries is required (ie 2-way 'email' contact - contact the verb), then for sure I can see the need for an email address.

Maybe just link the email requirement to the use of the 'form' / to incoming queries.

Cheers, Larry